Thursday, March 26, 2015

Life Update

How has life been treating all of you?!  We are still hanging in here in the frozen tundra.  We had a few days of a warm-up but it was right back to the snow.  Oh well that is the joy of living in NY.  Before too long we will hear people complaining about it being too hot!  I for one just love the change of seasons, so I choose to embrace them all.

We have some pretty big and exciting things happening to our family!  After 6 long years of my husband being on the night shift, he will finally be working days.  Starting this Monday he will be working some "normal" hours!  As I've mentioned before, I have started working to help off set our finances.  So since August my husband and I get exactly 30 minutes a day to spend together.  So as you can imagine we are ecstatic about this new shift.  We will once again be able to sit down as a family to eat supper! 

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to get my EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) certification.  When I was younger I rode ambulance as a first responder/driver.  But because of life I have never been able to obtain this dream of mine.  Well I am so excited to say that April 29 I will begin classes to work toward this dream.  I have all my books, stethoscope and uniform.  I met with the ambulance chief and assistant chief last week.  I have been accepted into the ambulance service pending a physical by my doctor. 

If everything goes as planned I will be an EMT by the end of summer!  I am anxious, excited and just plain ready for this next step in life.  It is time for me to do something I have wanted to obtain in life.  My husband and kids have been a huge encouragement to me.  God has opened many doors with this and I plan on walking through them.

This Saturday we will be headed to the Maple Festival at the Genesee Country Village and Museum.  So come back early next week for a post about our visit.  There will be many pictures as I test out my new lens.  I just love walking around the museum...but you all know that.

The kids are doing great.  They are all reaching a milestone birthday this year that I am having a hard time with.  Katrina will be 21, Hannah will be 18 and Andrew will be 16!  They are no longer kids...they are all young adults.  How in the world did this happen? 

So last but not least, we have been clean eating for almost a month now.  We both feel GREAT!  We have stayed away from all processed foods...for the most part.  We did splurge now and then.  I can say .  my doctor has been thrilled with my results.  I have lost close to 20 pounds and my blood pressure is wonderful.  In fact it has been so good that my doctor cut my meds in half.  If I continue doing well she will take me off of it completely!  So that is what we have been up about you?!

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Easy Eclair "Cake"

I have to say right off the bat...this is NOT a healthy "cake", nor is it a real food recipe.  Its not even a cake really. But hey, We all need a treat once and a while.  This is my husband's favorite dessert of all time!  My husband request this "cake" all the time.

Easy Éclair "Cake"

1 box of instant vanilla pudding
1 tub of whipped topping
2 sleeves of graham crackers
1 container of milk chocolate frosting

Mix up the box of pudding according to package directions.  Wait for the pudding to firm up a bit then gently fold in the whipped topping until it is well combined.

Now just like a lasagna you will layer the ingredients into an 8x8 pan.  Start with a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the pan.  You may have to break the graham crackers to get them to fit into the pan.  Next, add the pudding mixture.  Then another layer of graham crackers, make sure you push lightly to compress the layers.  I usually get about 3 layers out of one recipe.  You want to end with the pudding mixture.

Heat the frosting for about 20 seconds and stir.  Do this until the frosting is pourable. Pour the frosting all over the top of the cake, making sure to cover it completely.  Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.  The longer you have it in the refrigerator the more it will taste like an éclair cake. 

This is defiantly something you would not want to make often.  But once a year is not going to hurt anyone.  I usually make this for my husband's birthday, so since I made it today he will not be getting one in July.  Perhaps I will make a healthier version of his second favorite...carrot cake.  Have a blessed day!

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Corn Pudding

This recipe is one I have been making for years!  It is a staple on our Thanksgiving table.  So since our store had turkeys on sale this week I decided today would be a Thanksgiving feast.  We are celebrating the fact that after 6 long years of working nights my husband will be on days!  We are all so excited about this!  We will once again be able to sit down as a family and eat a meal.  Most importantly my husband and I will see each other more than 30 minutes a day.  So we only have to hold out 2 more weeks!!

This is not what we in the United States know as typical pudding.  This is more of a corn baked in a custard mixture. 

Corn Pudding

3 cups corn (if frozen thaw completely)
4 eggs
1/4 cup flour (I used spelt flour but have made it with white flour as well)
2 cups light cream
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon each, salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat eggs completely then stir in corn, flour, salt and pepper.  Stir until mixed completely.  Add in melted butter and cream. 

Pour into buttered 1 1/2 quart baking dish.  Place this baking dish into a larger pan.  Place enough hot water into the bottom of the larger pan so that it comes up half way on the baking dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the center is set.