Friday, April 11, 2014

Oatmeal Cookie Mix {Recipe}

In our quest to make our lives a little more self-sufficient I have been making our own homemade convenience products.  I decided to share these with you from time to time.  We joined a food co-op in February.  We were able to purchase large quantities of oats, sugar, flour, cheese and a few other items.  We love oatmeal cookies here.  I love the convenience of this mix without all the additives in the prepackaged mixes.


As you can see this recipe will give you many premade mixes.  It actually gives you 8 mixes but I made a batch right after I finished.


 Make sure you use a VERY large bowl.  This will also give your arms a great workout.  I eventually had to get my hands in to finish the mixing.

Oatmeal Cookie Mix

3 cups white sugar
3 cups brown sugar
6 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 cups shortening
12 cups rolled oats

Mix the white sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking soda and baking powder together.  Cut in the shortening until it is well mixed. 

Place 4 cups of the mix into Ziploc bags.  There you have premade cookie mixes for your convenience. 


To make oatmeal cookies:

Combine in a bowl 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 4 cups of the cookie mix. Mix all the ingredients well.  Drop onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. 

You can add anything you like to the cookies.  I personally like raisins or cranraisins or chocolate chips.

4 comments:

Farmlife Chick said...

That is great! Do you think I could hold off on the shortening/lard until I was ready to make them?

Jen said...

Farmlife Chick I do not see why you wouldn't be able to add it when you make it. I'm also going to try a smaller batch with coconut oil.

Jennifer said...

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. :)

Mary said...

Oh, please do post your results with coconut oil. I've been experimenting with it in various recipes, and would appreciate hearing how it worked with your oatmeal cookies.